Many communities in Annapolis, MD, have lush lawns with healthy grass. When it’s grooming time, all property owners in Annapolis must follow a strict lawn care schedule in order to keep their yard neat and tidy. If you don’t know how to care for a lawn, the team at Paradise Landscape and Hardscape can help. Team Paradise consists of highly trained landscape technicians, so if you need help mowing your lawn before winter, you’ll benefit using our lawn care services. In this blog post, you’ll learn how to prepare for a fall routine, practical lawn care strategies, when to stop cutting grass, and more.
Preparing for the Last Routine
Before your final mowing routine, fill your mower with plenty of gas. Then, check the oil level; if it’s low, the mower will run sluggishly as its blade slices through the grass. You shouldn’t mow your lawn incorrectly during the last routine because inconsistencies will create an environment for fungus. After the grass is properly trimmed, add fertilizer because it produces the best results in the spring when it’s sprinkled on a lawn in early fall.
The last trim won’t always happen on a certain day each year since the weather patterns always influence a lawn’s growth cycle. If your neighborhood is very warm outside in the fall, the grass will continue to sprout. This is why you must monitor the weekly weather forecast in your area carefully for inconsistencies. If the temperature drops 50 degrees F and rises again, you shouldn’t put your mower away because the grass will gradually grow on the hotter days. Instead, delay your final trim until the temperature outdoors falls below 50 degrees F and stays there.
Throughout the winter, your grass should be around two inches tall, so adjust your mower’s blade correctly. At this height, snow mold won’t be an issue, and arctic conditions will never stress out the grass.
One Cut After the Last Leaves Fall
When all of the leaves drop on your lawn, you may want to use your mower one more time before the cold weather arrives to make mulch. For this job, you’ll need to scout your property in advance to determine the best way to shred every leaf. Then, while you’re cutting the lawn, other steps must be taken to protect your mower.
Scouting is the only way to make the process of cutting leaves easier and less time-consuming. You should always wait until your lawn is totally covered with leaves before scouting because it gives you an opportunity to develop a practical strategy for raking. While raking, spread the leaves out so that the mower can cut everything evenly.
Before starting your mower, check the blade’s height. There should be proper clearance between the blade and the ground. If the blade is too low, some leaves may stick to the bottom of the mower.
While you’re cutting the leaves with the mower, take your time because the blade may have to spin several times to shred thick bundles. If you push the mower too quickly, it won’t produce a fine cut that transforms leaves into mulch.
Strategies for Cutting Grass Around Outdoor Living Spaces
You must cut the grass around outdoor living spaces correctly in the fall to avoid time-consuming maintenance and cleanup routines in the spring. The following strategies will make this job easier:
- Cut strategically: When grass is trimmed by an outdoor living area, some trimmings will fly everywhere. If you point your mower’s flap away from a patio or deck while trimming the lawn, pieces for grass won’t land on furniture and appliances. You won’t have to direct a flap away from an outdoor living area if you operate a mower that has a bag for trimmings.
- Target weed roots: In the spring and summer, weed roots will linger underneath the ground by a deck or patio. If you target and destroy these roots in the fall, you won’t have to constantly mow down weeds in the spring.
Tips for Grass Cutting During the Next Seasons
When winter is over, you shouldn’t crank your mower immediately after the grass grows tall. Instead, you should follow a few easy steps to properly prepare for the next mowing seasons.
Usually, after a mower is operated frequently throughout the previous seasons, its parts will develop some wear and tear. To protect your mower until the final job of the year, always service it in the spring.
Benefits of Using Our Lawn Maintenance Services
Our grass cutting team gives homeowners in Annapolis peace of mind because we always cut grass at the right time before winter arrives. We make lawns look great in the fall by focusing on the following things during lawn maintenance jobs:
- Height: Although grass no longer grows in the fall and winter, it still needs volume in order to give a property curb appeal. This is why we trim lawns strategically to keep the grass lush throughout the colder months. There are many grass species in Annapolis, and some types appear fuller and richer when they’re a certain height. If you let us trim your lawn, we’ll examine it and trim every stalk correctly.
- Patterns: After a lawn is mowed, its grass usually tilts in the direction where a blade made the cuts. Because this happens, we always cut grass in a pattern. For example, if we cut your grass diagonally, we’ll cut it in a straight line after it grows back before fall.
Contact us today. Team Paradise has equipment for large and small lawns in many neighborhoods in Annapolis. If a job just seems too challenging, we can tackle it. We offer:
- Trimming and edging services
- Lawn mowing services for residential communities and traditional grass
- Lawn mowing services for commercial properties that might have taller grasses
Because we offer lawn maintenance services, you won’t have to do anything before fall to prepare your lawn for cold weather. Our lawn care team will cut your grass, remove weeds, provide nutrients, and more. If you want a beautiful lawn that will impress your neighbors until spring, contact us today, and schedule an appointment for our professional lawn care services.